Friday 28 October 2016

"Did you know you've broken your back?"

Greenpath Ventures was doing tremendously well, referrals were coming in, we had built up a really good solid relationship with our funders, I remember one in particular, who said we were "inspirational and one of the best projects they had ever funded". We had even found a permanent home for our bushcraft courses!

We had been so lucky to find Ivy Farm on Mersea Island, 50 beautiful acres at the mouth of the Colne Estuary and Ralph the owner couldn't have been more supportive and encouraging. After a couple of months of seeing what we did he even decided to join us as a trustee!

I had a history of back trouble and noticed it was becoming increasingly difficult to walk any distance. Following the trip to the Arctic, I knew I was in serious trouble.

I was now always in pain and finding it more and more problematic to walk even short distances, just 30 meters would seem to take forever. Any bending was agony, I couldn't carry or lift anything, I had pins and needles and constant sciatica down my left leg.

The first doctor dismissed it as a pulled muscle and examined the wrong side. I changed my doctor. There was a dramatic difference. My new GP, took me seriously and immediately started to investigate the cause of the pain.

I had X-rays, MRI scans (the first of which was lost), several lots of physio. The physio didn't help so I was referred to the pain clinic. I was now given spinal injections, more physio, a T.E.N.s machine and my pain medication was increased; I was now on morphine patches, Subutex as well as codeine, paracetamol, ibuprofen and heat packs, all with no avail. I was totally exhausted from the medication and being in pain.

Finally, I was referred to a spinal surgeon, Mr Blackman at Colchester General Hospital.

"Did you know you've broken your back?", my consultant asked and then continued. "You really have 2 options; stay on the medication to manage your pain, but which will have to increase in time or to have surgery to fuse your lower spine".

"If I don't have the surgery what will be the prognosis?", I asked.

"To be honest, you'll most probably end up in a wheelchair and be on pain medication for the rest of your life".

That came as a thunderbolt, "Okay, if I have surgery, I expect that will be a fairly small operation and most likely be key hole won't it?" I asked hopefully.

"No, it's a major operation, we'll open you right up. First we'll go through  your stomach and pin your spine from the inside, then flip you over, open your back up and do the same again. You'll also be given a bone graft. It will take about 5 hours and it will take about 2 years to recuperate fully."

Spinal Cage
















Bit like mine, but I've got screws front and back.






















"Right", I squeaked in reply.

"I have to tell you about the possible side effects" the consultant continued, "although they are rare, they could include; death, incontinence, impotence, paraplegia, a permanent limp, drop foot and nerve damage".

I didn't really have a choice I thought, I could hardly walk now, running GV was becoming impossible. 

I decided to go for the surgery.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment