Wednesday 14 September 2016

New start?

Sexual abuse statistics vary between countries and reports, but are consistently alarming: Research indicates that up to 36% of girls and 29% of boys have suffered child sexual abuse; up to 46% girls and 20% boys have experienced sexual coercion.
(The 57th session of the UN Commission on Human Rights)

We left London with a huge sense of relief, moving away would give us the chance to start again without many of the old ghosts.

I secured a role working for the NHS in administration and also became a volunteer on a crisis helpline.

I remember being interviewed for the telephone role and I was asked if I had any personal history of mental health. I began explaining what had happened, "I don't understand why any child would keep abuse a secret", was my interviewers response. "Wow!" Not a great start I thought. Thankfully, this person was the exception and my colleagues on the helpline were a tremendous group of people.

Shortly after this I saw an article in the local paper regarding a community group looking for volunteers to help with a support group for adult survivors. The group was called, HEAL (Helping Everyone Abused Live) and was kindly given the use of a room by the local MIND. At that time it may have been the first and only group in the UK to work with men and women together, regardless of the the type of abuse suffered. I called, an interview was arranged and I was taken on.


Helping Everyone Abused Live

The first meeting was very memorable, I was the only man in the room with about 5 women and was viewed with a huge amount of suspicion and even a little hostility. "Why do you want to volunteer?"; I was challenged immediately, when I said that  I had been abused myself, the atmosphere changed completely. "It must have been worse for you, being a man" was the response. "Not worse, but maybe different", I responded.

HEAL offered a weekly support group where people came and shared what was happening with them and how they felt. For a number of reasons, the Co-ordinator left and we held a crisis meeting. It was put to me; "Unless you can take it on, the group will have to fold". I had never trained in group work or led many sessions, but couldn't see these survivors left with no support, so I took on the role.

The first thing I did was to ask the members what they wanted and needed.They felt the weekly support group was not working and that they wanted to have some direction and focus to the sessions. Jointly, we set up a monthly schedule, with different activities such as discussion groups on topics decided on by the members. Over time this gradually developed into more and more structured workshops and the open support group was actually dropped by the members themselves.

We struggled with low numbers for sometime, then suddenly, numbers began to increase and at times we would not have enough chairs, with people needing to sit on tables. Now men came as well and we were working at maximum capacity.

We needed to make the decision to expand. We became a registered charity, secured more funding and opened our own premises.

Tudor House, the home of HEAL
Momentum continued to gather; we were now also actively involved in training staff from other agencies in working with survivors.We went from one group a week to four, which included a drop in, a Carers/Supporters Group and a Creative group, which culminated in having our own exhibition.

We now had a 2 year waiting list to join our groups, with nearly 120 people on it at anyone time.




HEAL Creative Exhibition, Colchester 2006

HEAL Creative Exhibition, Colchester 2006
...and paraphrasing, the immortal words of Ernie Wise, here's a poem "what I wrote" for the exhibition:



Did The Angels?



And when the abuser looked at my child

Did the Angels rage for me?

Did the Angels cry for me?

Why did the Angels have to look away?



In a brief moment a tiny innocent became a

Broken Spirit, an Ugly and Torn child

Loathing and self hatred running wild

With No mirror able to hold the disfigured image



And when my Young eyes looked on adult visions

Did the Angels rage for me?

Did the Angels cry for me?

Why did the Angels have to look away?



In time I became the invisible man

No-body or feelings to touch

Powder and liquid the crutch

Thankfully, No reflection to look upon



And with no help from the Angels…

I have learnt to rage for me

I have learnt to cry for me

And with eyes open I have had to learnt to look at me



And finally I have learnt to say;

“Thank you, my beautiful little boy”, too long neglected

John Wills


Personally, my life was also about to change, as I discovered I was going to be a father!

2 comments:

  1. Hi John, I've just read your blog from start to date and I found it to be such a refreshing read because the WAY you told your story, despite the obvious sadness I feel for all you had to carry alone. I really think you could help SO many with this blog when others can see how you can turn things around, it's really excellent and so relatable for anyone who has suffered any kind of emotional/physical or sexual abuse. Your a very admirable man! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your story :) Maevann Costello, Dublin, Ireland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words Maevann. It really means so much. The whole point of the blog was to help others, so your comments are especially important to me. Thanks again, John

      Delete